Great digital workplaces are rarely built solely in-house. There’s too much at stake and the digital workplace is too often a political juggling act, with far too many tools and moving parts.
The average intranet redesign takes 12 to 18 months (sometimes more) — far too much work for even two or three full-time employees. So, a complete digital workplace makeover could take years. A non-partisan digital workplace consultant or intranet agency can be the difference between failure and success.
There are advantages to doing it yourself:
- Costs less (less external expense)
- Internal stakeholders are forced to own their intranet (learn the ropes)
- Internal jobs are reinforced
The disadvantages of doing it yourself are obvious:
- Lack of skill and experience
- Lack of people to execute
- Lack of time
- Internal politics and competing priorities / vision
- Time away from day-to-day work
Continue reading How to Hire a Digital Workplace Consultant